The Resource The war that saved my life
- The war that saved my life
- Statement of responsibility
- Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- trueEvacuation of civilians
- trueWorld War II home front
- trueWorld War II
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueFamilial love
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Evacuation of civilians -- Great Britain -- Fiction
- trueSecond World War era (1939-1945) -- 1939 -- 1945
- JUVENILE FICTION / Family / Orphans & Foster Homes
- trueChild abuse
- trueGrief in women
- Brothers and sisters -- Fiction
- truePeople with disabilities
- true1940s -- 1940 -- 1949
- JUVENILE FICTION / Historical / Europe
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Themes / Physical & Emotional Abuse
- truePersistence in girls
- Great Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952 -- Fiction
- People with disabilities -- Juvenile fiction
- trueBrothers and sisters
- trueGreat Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952
- Nine-year-old Ada has never left her one-room apartment. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada's twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn't waste a minute-she sneaks out to join him. So begins a new adventure of Ada, and for Susan Smith, the woman who is forced to take the two kids in. As Ada teaches herself to ride a pony, learns to read, and watches for German spies, she begins to trust Susan-and Susan begins to love Ada and Jamie. But in the end, will their bond be enough to hold them together through wartime? Or will Ada and her brother fall back into the cruel hands of their mother?
- ALA Notable Children's Book, 2016
- Golden Sower Award (Nebraska), Grades 4-6, 2017.
- Isinglass Teen Read Award (New Hampshire), 2016.
- Josette Frank Award, 2016.
- Mark Twain Award (Missouri), 2018.
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award, 2018.
- Maud Hart Lovelace Book Award (Minnesota), Division II (Grades 6-8), 2018.
- Nutmeg Children's Book Award, Intermediate category, 2018.
- Schneider Family Book Award for Middle School, 2016.
- Sequoyah Book Awards (Oklahoma), Intermediate Books, 2018.
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award (Florida), 2018.
- Virginia Readers' Choice Award for Middle School, 2018.
- Awards note
- Young Hoosier Book 6-8 Award nominee, 2017-2018.
- Young Hoosier Book Middle Grades 6-8 Award nominee, 2017-2018.
- A Newbery Honor Book, 2016.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Intended audience
- Decoding demand: 91 (very high)
- Semantic demand: 100 (very high)
- Syntactic demand: 85 (very high)
- Structure demand: 87 (very high)
- Intended audience source
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of The war that saved my life
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The war that saved my life
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lagrange.lib.in.us/resource/kkPjYwICxkA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lagrange.lib.in.us/resource/kkPjYwICxkA/">The war that saved my life</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.lagrange.lib.in.us/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lagrange.lib.in.us/">LaGrange County Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>